Inter Miami CF players Federico and Gonzalo Higuaín have been named to the MLS Team of the Week presented by Audi for Week 32 of the 2021 season.
Gonzalo Higuaín was named as a starting forward following his dominant performance on the pitch that contributed to the 5-1 victory over FC Cincinnati. In the weekend matchup at DRV PNK Stadium, the forward massively impacted the game recording three assists and scoring a goal in the 53rd minute - earning Heineken Man of the Match honors. This is Gonzalo Higuaín’s fourth time this season being named to the MLS Team of the Week.
Midfielder Federico Higuaín, meanwhile, was named to the bench of the MLS Team of the Week after his goal against Cincinnati that set the tone early on in the game. The midfielder also assisted his brother Gonzalo for his goal in the 53rd minute. Federico Higuaín was previously named to MLS Team of the Week in Week 2.
Additionally, by scoring in Saturday’s win, the Higuaín brothers marked just the third time in MLS history that a pair of brothers scored in the same MLS match. They were also the first to ever do so in April.
Inter Miami players who have previously been featured in the MLS Team of the Week in the 2021 regular season:
- Week 2: Defender Nicolás Figal was named to the team after assisting midfielder Federico Higuaín for the go-ahead goal in the 83rd minute. Figal also contested 16 duels in the 1-2 win against the Philadelphia Union for the first win of the season. Figal and Higuaín were both named to the starting XI.
- Week 3: Defender Ryan Shawcross was selected for the starting XI after the 0-0 draw versus Nashville to earn the first clean sheet of the season and contested six duels.
- Week 4: Winger Lewis Morgan was named to the bench following the equalizing goal in minute 77 to earn the 1-1 draw against Atlanta.
- Week 5: Forward Gonzalo Higuaín was named a starter after scoring a brace that helped earn the Club a 3-2 win vs. FC Cincinnati.
- Week 16: Gonzalo Higuaín was named a starter after scoring a brace with a penalty kick in the 49th minute and a goal in the 69th minute in a 2-1 win over CF Montréal.
- Week 17: Left-back Kieran Gibbs earned the spot as a starter in the 1-1 draw vs. Orlando City after scoring the equalizing goal in the 66th minute.
- Week 18: Midfielder Blaise Matuidi was selected to the starting XI after his first assist of the season in the 2-1 win over Nashville.
- Week 20: Gonzalo Higuaín was named to the Team of the Week for the third time this season and named as a starter following his two assists that helped Inter Miami earn a 3-2 win against the Chicago Fire.
- Week 21: Defender Leandro González Pirez, who had two assists, and midfielder Rodolfo Pizarro, who scored a brace, were named as starters after the 3-1 win over Toronto FC.
- Week 22: Goalkeeper Nick Marsman was named to the bench following the 0-0 draw against Orlando City after his first clean sheet of the season and an incredible save in a penalty kick attempt.
- Week 23: Nicolás Figal was named a starter after an 0-1 win, assisting Brek Shea for the late game-winning goal to defeat FC Cincinnati.
- Week 24: Nick Marsman was named a starter following his third clean sheet of the season and Gregore was named to the bench after playing an aggressive game in the win against the Columbus Crew.
- Week 25: Christian Makoun was named as a starter after earning a penalty kick himself and scoring the game-winning goal from the spot in added time to defeat Toronto FC 0-1 on the road.
- Week 31: Christian Makoun was named as a starter following his goal against Toronto FC, while also recording a 93.9% passing completion rate.