Inter Miami CF forward Gonzalo Higuaín and attacking midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo have been named to the MLS Team of the Week presented by Audi for Week 31. Higuaín’s pair of goals against the Columbus Crew on Sept. 13 earned him a spot as a starter in the Team of the Week. Pozuelo, who assisted Higuaín’s game winner, was named to the bench of the Team of the Week.
Higuaín has been in remarkable form, scoring nine goals in the last 12 games for the Herons as the team enters the final stages of the 2022 MLS regular season, and makes its push for a playoff spot. The Argentine’s brace decided the match against Columbus, while he also registered three shots on target and provided three key passes en route to an Inter Miami victory.
Pozuelo, the 2020 Landon Donovan MLS MVP, had a productive evening in the center of the park. Before providing the inch-perfect pass that would allow Higuaín to score the decisive, game-winning goal, Pozuelo kept the pressure on Columbus’ back line with a shot on target, four key passes and a sterling 95.6% passing rate.
The attacking duo has earned Team of the Week honors previously; Higuaín was named to the team in Week 21, and Week 23 where he was also MLS Player of the Week, while Pozuelo was named to the Week 25 team. Inter Miami has now had a player or coach represent the club in the Team of the Week in 15 different weeks of the 2022 MLS Regular season.
2022 Inter Miami CF MLS Team of the Week Honorees:
- Week 1 - Damion Lowe
- Week 6 - Leonardo Campana (also named MLS Player of the Week)
- Week 7 - Aimé Mabika
- Week 8 - Leonardo Campana
- Week 12 - Damion Lowe, Drake Callender
- Week 13 - Phil Neville, Drake Callender
- Week 14 - Robert Taylor
- Week 16 - Indiana Vassilev, Bryce Duke
- Week 18 - Damion Lowe
- Week 21 - Gonzalo Higuaín, Gregore
- Week 23 - Gonzalo Higuaín (also named MLS Player of the Week)
- Week 24 - Drake Callender
- Week 25 - Alejandro Pozuelo
- Week 26 - Damion Lowe
- Week 31 - Gonzalo Higuaín and Alejandro Pozuelo